Thursday, April 22, 2010

The poor little boy...

Sam woke up too early this morning, he was awake before six thirty. And so when he fell asleep just before five this afternoon, I just shrugged. I knew he needed the sleep - but Sam's a really crappy napper. He's always been a great sleeper, but ever since he gave up the nap about six or eight months ago, naps make him groggy and confused. And today - the nap made him lose his little mind...

He slept for about two hours and woke up screaming. Screaming. Furious at me, wouldn't let me hold him or comfort him, but cried harder and screamed for me when I tried to get off the chair where he was. He started swinging at me, kicking out at me, which earned him a three minute time out - I'm pretty hard core about not hitting the Mama. But he was just wrecked. Could not stop screaming, wouldn't tell me what was wrong, wouldn't let me hold him, wouldn't let me leave him... and it went on for about a half hour. He's all worn out now... and I still don't know what started or what stopped it. There are hidden depths to Sam that I don't think I'll ever fully understand. Because something was wrong, I don't know if it was a nightmare or if he was hurt or sick - there's no fever, nothing that I can easily discern as the problem, and he refused to talk during or after the crying jag. He actually wet his pants, he was crying so hard, and I can't, for the life of me, tell you what caused it.

But I know that naps are NEVER a good idea for my little boy.

No comments: