Sunday, May 20, 2012

Open Letter to My Children's Teachers

I have two children in school, and there is a part of me that envies you. You have the time with my children that I don't. You see them in ways that I can't, you see them without me. In many ways, you see a side of them that I'll never see, the person they are when I'm not there. 

With my oldest daughter, she's nine. She's big. She's a tween, and dealing with division and multiplication tables, discovering how much fun it is to read, and losing herself in books for the first time. She's trying to navigate the murky social waters of the third grade, and sometimes that's terrifying for me. I rely so much on you, on your ability to protect and guide her, to teach her not only that 9x7=63, but also that it's okay for her to not always fit in, and that she's perfectly okay being exactly who she is. I tell her that all the time, but coming from you, it means something different. You've taught her how to be comfortable in her own skin. She's blossomed this year, I've seen her grow so much. She's happy about going to school, excited about what she's learning. Thank you, for that and so much more.

My boy, my little baby boy. When he started kindergarten this year, you had to pry him off of my leg, and hold him back from chasing after me. At least three times this year, he managed to break free, and you had to literally chase him out the door to catch him. You taught me, as much as you taught him, that it was okay for him to go to school. That he needed that push, that he would be safe and secure. You gave him time to feel comfortable, and never pushed him for more than he could give. And because of that, he's sitting on the rug, he's playing, he's happy at school. You have given me artwork for my walls, and boy who's newly confident. He knows now that he's safe without me, that there's a whole world out there waiting for him. Thank you, for that and so much more.

Mrs. Ring and Mrs. Gravel and the entire staff at Flagg Street School - thank you. For all that you, for all that I know that you do, and for all that I don't. Thank you for the times when you went way above and beyond for my children, for the way you made them feel special and smart and loved. My kids love school, and you have taught them so much. I'm grateful. 



read to be read at yeahwrite.me

28 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is such a lovely post. I'm a teacher, and you have no idea how much your gratitude means to the people who work every day with your children.

Stephanie said...

Oops! Hit the button too soon! I wanted to also say: teachers are grateful for the work that you do with your children. I am sometimes in awe of parents; my job ended at 5:00 every day. Yours goes on forever.

carrie said...

Such a beautiful post. I think many mothers feel this way. How great it is you have teachers who seem to truly love their students!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful letter. It made me tear up. I remember how hard it was when my oldest went to Kindergarten. I think I cried more than he did. Haha!

Gia said...

Awww, what a nice letter! It's great to see good parent-teacher relationships.

Dawn Beronilla said...

I really enjoyed reading this!
I love that you seem to have such a great relationship with your kids' teachers. That is excellent. :-)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful letter! I believe every teacher should read this. It makes them feel appreciated.

Unknown said...

i often think that when i have to go into my kindergarteners school. i remember what school is like, i remember how by the time you leave, you know ever inch of that school and its workings...now walking in, i feel i know nothing. its all i can do to wait for him in the office instead of bursting into his class room so he could tell me everything :) great response to this mama feeling!!

Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms said...

That is so wonderful! You are lucky to have such a great school and such great teachers. It really is a blessing when your children are matched up with exactly the right teachers for them. Ellen

Whoa! Susannah (Formerly Write, Rinse, Repeat) said...

I enjoyed this one! Great post!

Treading Water in the Kiddie Pool said...

I bet these teachers really appreciate your thoughtful thank you letter!

Your Doctor's Wife said...

So nice to see teachers appreciated and applauded! I don' t think there is enough of that going around. Instead, society keeps dumping on them and adding other issues to their list of responsibilities.
Very nice!

Adrienne said...

This is so sweet! I hope these teachers get a chance to read this. Gratitude goes a long way and I don't think teachers hear that they're appreciated enough. I wish I could see my kids when they're not with me. Can't we install cameras or something?? I hate missing stuff!

tinkerdixiebell said...

Teachers are special people..most of them anyway. :) My husband taught middle school and loved getting a note or batch of cookies from parents and students.

Kim @The G is Silent said...

Okay that was wonderful. Truly perfect. I love that you let them go and grow and be themselves. I forget that we do that. That was a terrific post.

Kristen said...

What a great letter to those teachers. As a former teacher, I know how hard it is. Sometimes you are not recognized for the extra hours. And - then ... sometimes you are. A sweet recognition.

Amanda said...

What a sweet post! Before being a sahm, I was a teacher (although to the big (college) kids.) Coming from that experience, I know how much this meant to them.

Anonymous said...

this is lovely and thoughtful - yay for teachers!

LemonadeLady said...

Oh, how I can relate ... it is hard to send them off and know that we are losing not really control, but the experience of watching them and learning with them :)

Kristin said...

This is beautiful. To be honest, as a teacher, I had my defensiveness ready to go at the title of this post. Most people only take the time to complain - and now just in these cases, of course, in most situations - so it's nice to hear such lovely sentiments so close to the end of the year.

I hope that next year I will be as kind to my soon-to-be-in-kindergarten son's teachers - and I hope they are as fantastic!

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

This is a beautiful tribute! Almost makes me long for the teachers who made a difference in my life growing up. Awesome post!

Steph said...

Nice tribute. My niece who is 10 loves school and that is due to the terrific teachers she's had. It makes all the difference. As someone else said its nice to read a thank you note rather than a complaint. Of course there is much to complain about these days but it is refreshing to see the positive.

Paula said...

This is really lovely! I'm sure those teachers are appreciative.
It can be difficult sending the kiddos to school - as you say, the teachers get to see a side of them that you may not. Wonderful that you have great teachers you obviously have grown to trust.

Tracy @ Scribblesaurus said...

Such a nice post. I feel that way about my son's teachers. Sometimes I wish I could see him through their eyes, if even for just one day.

christina said...

very sweet. i hope you can share this with their teachers, too.

Jackie said...

Please, please please print out these letters and give them to your kids' teachers. It's those moments that made it worth it for me when I was in the classroom!

Lisa Nolan said...

Such a lovely letter to your children's teachers. I've been thinking about what type of a letter I'd write to my son's school, the teachers and the children. My son is finishing first grade in public school. He has Down syndrome. And every school day for the past two years we've walked to school and home. And not once has my son been met with funny looks or stares or giggles, nothing but smiles and hellos and waves and I'm in-a-hurry-catch-ya laters. It makes me tear up just thinking about it! So I'd write a letter to all the school children thanking them for their kind hearts. Truly.

Amanda Lou said...

Reading this just gave my shivers..... I love you, Meliss. You r an amazing mother, sister,daughter and friend...... Ur an amazing writer and it still floors me how when u get mad I actually shut-up..... U were and r my second mothers and I am lucky to have that... Just wanted to let u know..... Luv u...(P.S.I believe u now that if u sleep with ur hair up tight u lose ur hair earlier-and when I tell the kids thag I makesure to tell them, my sister always yelled at me.... Also, ive been told by Isabella after she lays in her bed and I make the bed over her that I am the best bed-maker, and i always tell her thats cuz Auntie Sissa showed me..... U always made my bed for me when i was in it(prob ur bed cuz i slept withu) I love u and thanks for bein such a good sister.....
O YO y