Friday, July 22, 2011

Wow. So this is what it's like with just one child

I obviously have had just one child before - in fact, for three years and seven months, that's all I had.  Then
Samilicious came along and now that Julianna is here, I'm a busy mom of three.  One of the things I've been thinking about lately (along with stressing over the upcoming move, fears I'll be living under a bridge down at the park, etc) is that in September, I'll have just my one little girl at home during the day.  I spend a lot of time thinking about Sam starting kindergarten, and how he'll adjust and how I'll do without him - but there's the other side of it, which is that I'll have all this time with just my baby girl.  She's never had that before, from the beginning, she's shared me with Sam and Jessie.

After Sam was born, I started watching a couple of other kids during the day.  Sam was not the kind of child that could be sent to daycare, the incessant crying and breastfeeding would have made it impossible.  We needed the income I brought in, so I was thrilled when I found a couple of other moms with babies who needed care.  I've had the three of them, Sam and Harrison and Jordyn at home with me since then.  It was crazy busy a lot of the time, but I kind of like chaos, so to speak, and now that they're all old enough for kindergarten, I don't know what I'll do with all my free time.

Jessica is out with Marc's mom, at the movies, and Marc just came home from work and took Sam to go see Captain America.  And it's just me and little Miss Julie - and I just realized that this will be my life in a few months.  Marc'll be at work all the time, and the two older ones will be at school seven hours a day.  Just me and Julianna.  Which is actually wonderful in a lot of ways, if Julianna ends up being my last baby, I'll be bookending mothering small children with time alone with a little brown eyed baby girl with beautiful brown curls.  My kids aren't identical, but they all seem to have the same basic face, and Julie and Jessie have the same hair as well - so there are many moments when I feel this sense of deja vu holding baby Julie.

Anyway - it's calm and quiet here.  Julie is nibbling her hot dog and sipping her ice water (holy moly is it freaking hot here).  She's also just (like, within the past ten minutes) mastered the shrug, so she keeps shrugging at me and grinning :-)

No comments: