Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Robert Parker has died...

I love to read. Love it. I have the best memories of my second grade teacher, who used to let me go to the school library when I finished in class early and take out more books. I used to read while walking home from school, it was my go to leisure activity. I'm the oldest of four, and learned early that by picking up a book, I could take myself out of whatever family crisis I was going thru (and with my family - there was always one), and it's still the easiest, fastest way for me to calm down. I always have at least two or three books that I'm reading (right now I'm working on Blessings of a Skinned Knee and Nuture Shock, both fascinating, and finished up the Harry Potter series last night).

I found the Spenser novels at a yard sale, someone was selling old paperbacks for ten cents, when I was in high school. I LOVED them. Quick, easy reads, well written, great character development - I bought probably ten or fifteen of them, and then went out and found the rest of the series. I followed Spenser from that point on, and was still eagerly waiting for the next installment. I loved his Sunny Randall series, the Jesse Stone series. I'm so sad about his death. He's one of the authors that I'll reread again and again, so incredibly talented...

No comments: